Sunday, July 10, 2011

ROW80 CHECK-IN

Okay. I've reassessed the situation and have determined I have a problem. Not a huge problem. Just a problem with daily goals.

Tangent:
When my oldest was a toddler and saying no to as many things as she could, her pediatrician told me not to worry about her daily intake of food, instead, look to her weekly consumption.
Oooh. Way less frustration and worry.

Full Circle:
My daily goals keep getting sabotaged, I'm not naming names...alright, by me mostly, still, that's beside the point. Sabotage, that's the point. No, that's not the point. Goals are the point. What can I get done in a week, not necessarily a day.

Realization:
Daily goals are a good idea with a bad outcome.
Weekly goals are (might be) a better fit.

New Weekly Goals:
4 hours edits and revisions on GONE BLONDE
7 new pages written for BETWIXT

Phew.

5 comments:

  1. I really did inadvertently hit the nail on the head with my check-in post, didn't I? It seems to me (after trying it several ways) that daily writing goals tend to be too short, monthly+ too long, and weekly just right. It doesn't work for everything (see: eating or sleeping... oh, how I wish I could just pick a "sleep day" and then not have to sleep for the rest of the week cuz, hey, got my goal), but it does seem to work for writing.

    Hopefully the new goals work better for you. They look solid. Best of luck and keep ROW'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exactly the same way with goals. Every Sunday I work out my goals for the week, and give myself tasks (ministeps) I need to complete to make sure the goals are accomplished.

    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt, yeah I wish I could do the one sleep day too!
    Cate, I think that's my next step -- the mini-goals, we'll see.
    I am going to post a side ROW80 panel w/ my goals. Or, at least, that's my goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if it works go for it - I never can do daily goals - life gets in the way!! weekly always better for me but even then dont always get there - keep smiling

    all the best for this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on figuring out what works for you! I love that about ROW80. Daily goals are working for me so far, but I have small goals so that I don't stress about them.

    ReplyDelete