Sunday, January 13, 2013

CONTROL? I DON'T NEED NO STINKING CONTROL

There is a moment of clarity as your car careens sideways across a street that is now a skating rink, right before it jack-rabbits up the curb scooping out snow and packing it in around itself:

Huh, you say to your brain, I have no control!

The next thought is...well, maybe we'll leave that one alone. Suffice it to say, no one was hurt, I met a lovely woman (whose yard my car landed in), I was not the first car in her back yard...nor the last, I had a nice chat (really!) with a city salt/plow driver, he was kind enough to take three passes with the salt truck on that crazy iced-up curve, and I got to stay in my car as the tow truck driver winched my car out and then dragged it out--it was fun. Really.

Life is like this.

And sometimes writing feels this way too. Which isn't altogether a bad thing. When we take our feet off the brakes of our imagination, brainstorms, first draft or fifth, we can end up in unexpected places!

Now, on to my check-in for ROW 80 

First basic pass on manuscript: complete 
Had to add this next step: 
Second pass, making extensive notes in notebook--which big scenes need to be added, what new research is needed, where to really deepen POV: more than halfway

What I'm loving the most about this process (a process I put off and off and off because I didn't know how to start) is I'm finally seeing the book and how it will/could look. I've been writing this book forever--constantly setting it in a corner for unruly behavior and then picking it back up again a year later. I love it that now I can see its potential.

Can't wait to see how everyone else is doing...

11 comments:

  1. You're back! And a sponsor to boot. Very cool. You're almost there. And yes, 2013 will be the year you get published. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan! Yeah, I decided to jump in with both those feet. If I don't push myself, I get very comfortable with thinking about someday...
    Thank you so much for stopping by! It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're okay! Sheesh!

    Writing is a lot like that sometimes... totally out of control. That's what I'm feeling with one of my books right now. Bad offspring. :)

    Good luck with your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad offspring! That is such a perfect description. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, my WIPs know that corner for unruly behavior quite well--they are glaring at me something fierce, an I am glaring back. I'm not sure who is going to win the standoff. ;)

    Good luck with the edits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I love it! You know who's boss in the end. No matter what transpires when we lose control--we still own the delete button. Except in icy conditions...dang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary... very, very scary. I have never driven in ice/snow and I hate the thought of it. I don't even like driving in the rain.

    I like your analogy between your ice skating and writing. It's true.

    Keep going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that funny, what we're used to Cate. I have slid on icy roads so many darn times...But I don't like driving in the rain either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that feeling well - when the car slids its own way - scary glad no real harm done:) wouldn't be so sure who will win the stand off tho' you may control the delte button but who controls your imagination? eh? they are in there just waiting their. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know Alberta, I know. The little schemers! Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. play bazaar

    satta king This is because the spine's nerves also control the spine have to do with your lungs.

    ReplyDelete